Wednesday, August 8, 2012

READINGS

Alexi just commented on my posting today. She asked, rather incredulously, if I had actually read a phone catalog.


Yes, indeed I did read a MTC mobile phone catalog to learn some current words (of course I had to look up quite a few, which is a good exercise in itself) and to see if it is worth it to buy a phone. I just don't think it is worth it to make the purchase at this time.

We have been here for exactly one week as of two hours ago (it's not quite 12 noon on the East Coast), and there really has not been a need for a phone. We have a house phone for which local calls can be made at no charge. 

And I do have my EuroBuzz mobile phone in case of emergency. Even at $3.95 per minute, I would have to make 20 minutes worth of phone calls on my EuroBuzz to justify buying a phone here.

I also read a lot of other junk, and by that I mean the pamphlets and giveaways you so often see in restaurants, train stations... By browsing these free, throw-away publications, it helps me learn new words as well as getting a feel for what Russians might be interested in. The other night I read a travel excursion brochure I picked up in the Yolki-Palki restaurant. Cruises, deals to Bulgaria, and the coast of Italy seem to be very popular right now!


No comments: