Monday, August 6, 2012

FIRST MONDAY

So begins a new week in a new land.

Andrea spent the day in the Russian National Library.

As for me, I spent the entire day in the apartment working on my Russian workbook and some work projects with which I am currently engaged.

A person from the apartment service came over to check out our toilet, because it was backing up into the shower tub yesterday. It resolved itself yesterday, though. I showed her some minor problems, like a burned out light bulb and a loose floor strip.

In my meager and broken Russian, I asked her a few questions about conjugating some verbs, because the workbook didn't have examples. She corrected me. I think she may be Oksana's mom, who I know from the website was once a teacher. I presume that made her feel good to instruct me. She suggested I watch television to learn.

Andrea did not get home until well after 9:00 p.m. Of course, she was exhausted, so we went to the Russian restaurant outside our arch on Nevsky Prospekt. It's called (in English) Olki-Palki.  Since Alexi seems very interested in the food here, I will tell you what we had.

Hot borscht and lamb kebabs for me. Andrea had a Greek salad and roasted potatoes with mushrooms and mustard on the side. She said it was good, and what she often made for herself in her previous trips here. So how much did this seemingly simple dinner cost? $45! Sorry, but I am still not used to these big city prices!

I guess I will have to start carrying my camera with me to document the dishes we consume. Oh, and like many of the restaurants we have been to there was music and dancing by the wait staff. Maybe that's why it costs so much?

1 comment:

Alexi said...

Well, I clearly sent my latest email to you before thinking to check the blog. Although I think my recommendations for what you should be doing in Russia (i.e. taking it over and outmanlying Putin) sounds more interesting. It certainly would make for an interesting blog story line.

Thanks for describing the food! Was the meal good or at least close to being worth $45? And if the wait staff dances and sings and its not the awkward "Happy Birthday" type stuff then I can't WAIT and think the prices make sense :)