Saturday, July 28, 2012

AT THE READY - VSYEGDA GOTOV

That was the theme of last night's wonderful fete by Andrea's IUSB colleagues. 


While I cannot actually spell the two words in Russian because Google does not have Cyrillic letters as part of blogspot's programming, it is a salute used by the Komsomol, (Soviet youth organization somewhat akin to Boy Scouts but much more blatantly political) according to my trusted source, Dr. Andy Schnabel.
Dr. Andy Schnabel in front of the flower microphone
Andy, his wife, Louise Collins; Linda Chen and her retired college professor husband, Roy Schreiber; and our generous hosts, Cathy Borshuk and Steve Gill feted Andrea before Tuesday's departure for the motherland.


Toasts were made. Best wishes were expressed. Much food and wine was consumed! 


In addition to fish and chicken sausages on the barbecue, Steve concocted in the kitchen and finished on the grill a most wonderful peach and blueberry cobbler for dessert.


In addition to the food, highlights of the evening were Louise's "Russian" presents to the group. She provided red kerchiefs and home made turtle pins that looked suspiciously like Soviet Red Stars. 


Louise distributing the wealth of red kerchiefs and "turtle" pins (although we know what she's really trying to  pawn off on us - brainwashing Soviet Red Stars!
And in honor of the Olympics, Louise presented Andrea with her very own gold medal for bravery in traveling to the former Soviet Union.

WE HAVE A WINNER!
PS: Louise also made this medal and the Soviet-style napkin holders
I made a public spectacle of myself (per usual), by removing my wedding band from my left hand to my right hand, which is the Russian tradition. Andrea insisted I wear my ring on my right hand while in Russia so that every able-bodied Russian women will know I am married.

The Gill-Will Ring Ceremony
Who would want a piece of that anyway?
Cathy, Linda and Roy

Andy and Louise
After dinner, we watched the opening ceremonies...perhaps not so much watched as commented throughout.


No comments: