Monday, June 4, 2012

RAFA, WILL & ANDREA AT ROLAND GARROS

At Roland Garros: Some rude French. Some nice French. Lots of inconsiderate people of all nationalities. Really packed. Weather: rough and raw, windy, occassionally wet. We saw Almagro beat Tipsarevic. Went down to the lounge and grabbed a few free drinks and pricey food, saw the very end of Del Potro's match pushed from Sunday. Del Po won in 4 sets. Then went shopping. And who knew I could be such a spendthrift? Really! I quite embarrassed myself with my profligate ways. But, oh well. Returned to the lounge for a drink and for Andrea to put on the socks and sweatshirt we bought. Then it's back in line to wait for a changeover so we can take our seats to watch the conclusion of the first woman's match( Li Na, last year's champion losing to Yaroslava Schvedova) and then, hopefully, the weather will hold and we will see Rafa take on Juan Monaco.

The weather did hold, and we saw Andrea's Rafa put a whooping on poor old Juan Monaco in three straight sets (6:2, 6:0, 6:0.) Rafa was masterful as he dispatched the Argentinian. While I am not a Rafa fan, it was so cool to be so close to this international sports superstar as he went about his business cooly and comfortably. We were within 25 yards of him. Being at the court in person provides a much different perspective on the game versus viewing on TV. The court itself appears much smaller, but the play is so much faster. It was an incredible experience, and even Andrea commented that other than Rafa, she thought she would be bored. That was never the case, and she did not pull out her knitting or reading! And indeed, it was Uncle Toni I had walked side by side with last Thursday (take that you big chicken.) 

Then it was back to the lounge with the rude French bartender. We went back into the stands around 8:00 pm to watch the Estonian, Kanepi, beat the young Dutch girl, Rus, who does have some game and promise. There were few people in the stadium, and not many on the grounds by the time we left at 9:00 pm.

Did any one see us on TV? We were sitting in the seventh row, behind the chair umpire and just to his/her left.

We walked back, and finally found a decent bistro open on Rue de la Reine. The doctor ordered a Caesar salad and a deliciously warm, creamy vegetable soup. I had a steak with spinach and a couple of glases of red wine.

Back "home" by 11:00 pm. I told Andrea that while totally unrealistic, there is a part of me that wishes we could could keep on like this, travelling from place to place, unconnected to our real world concerns of work, paying the mortgage, walking the dog, even talking to friends and family on a "daily" basis. Andrea does not believe me, but I am even fine without our "habitudes" of TV and other home comforts. Of course, I am sure the first thing I will do when we get home is turn on the TV and sit in our comfortable chairs.

Tomorrow, we visit Versailles...

2 comments:

Alexi's European Adventures said...

YOU SAW RAFA! YOU SAW HIM PLAY IN REAL LIFE?! I don't even LIKE Rafa and I'm jealous! Ahhhh!!

Sadly, I was unable to watch/record yesterday's games, otherwise I would have to see if we could spot you.

Phyllis said...

Recorded and watched 2.5 hrs. of the French Open but did not see either of you, damm. Couple of times I thought I did but alas not so. It is nice to be away from all that ties one down but also nice to return and you will have ever so dreamy memories.
Amore, la mere.